Written by Checkpoint XP Tampa Contributor: Luis “DJ Speedy Junior” Gonzalez, host of Geek Culture Congress
With the Coronavirus and everyone being asked to exercise social distancing, you probably are stuck in the house with nothing to do and looking at that dusty video game system you haven’t fired up in god knows how long. You must be wondering, “What should I play/buy/download?” No worries! I got the top 5 games you can play free right now!
- Fortnite – Fortnite is an online video game developed by Epic Games and released in 2017. It is available in three distinct game mode versions that otherwise share the same general gameplay and game engine: Fortnite: Save the World, a cooperative shooter–survival game for up to four players to fight off zombie-like creatures and defend objects with fortifications they can build; Fortnite Battle Royale, a free-to-play battle royale game where up to 100 players fight to be the last person standing; and Fortnite Creative, where players are given complete freedom to create worlds and battle arenas. This game has been a worldwide phenomenon and by far one of the most popular.
- Call Of Duty Warzone – Call of Duty: Warzone is a free-to-play battle royale video game released on March 10, 2020, for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. The game is a part of the 2019 title Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but does not require the purchase of it. It is traditional Call Of Duty first-person shooter battle, with a battle royal style of gameplay. If you already own Call Of Duty Modern Warfare it is just an update for your game. If not, it will be a bigger file transfer but free to download.
- World Of Tanks – World of Tanks is a massively multiplayer online game developed by Belarusian company Wargaming, featuring mid-20th century era combat vehicles. It is built upon a freemium business model where the game is free-to-play, but participants also have the option of paying a fee for use of “premium” features. Its sister game, World of Warships also deserves an honorable mention.
- Apex Legends – Another Battle Royal game (you’ll notice the trend going this route) Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale game developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. It was released for Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 4, 2019, without any prior announcement or marketing. The game is in its fourth season. It is based on the universe of Titanfall and Titanfall 2, although in this game there are no Mechs/Titans to pilot.
- League Of Legends – The king of the Multiplayer Online Battle Areas, League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena video game developed and published by Riot Games for Microsoft Windows and macOS. Inspired by the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne mod Defense of the Ancients, the game follows a freemium model and is supported by microtransactions.